Sunday, December 12, 2010

The Time Traveller's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

Finally got my hand on a copy of the most raved novel "The Time Traveller's Wife" written by Audrey Niffenegger from Big Bad Wolf Sale last month. Just RM8 only.

What is this story about? It's a love story between Clare and Henry. Henry meet Clare when he was 36 and she was 6. And they married when he was 30 and Clare was 22. You see...Henry was born with a genetic disorder which allows him to travel in time. He had no control on this.

After they got married, they struggle to have a normal life. Tried to have children. It was real tough.

What I like about the story is that the author have a real vast imagination. She managed to highlight the emotional plights of the characters well.

But reading this book also makes me angry. Why? Coz at one time, Henry inadvertently leaked the future to Clare that they are married in the future. And I think because of that Clare had no desire to date. In fact because of her lack of desire to date other guys, she was beaten up by one of the guys.

And there is one part of the story where i don't really understand. The older Henry time travelled and had meet the younger Henry many times and taught the younger Henry the survival skills needed to handle time travelling.

Is it possible that the older Henry would not have mentioned anything about Clare to the younger Henry?

The reason I said this is that at page 178 where Clare confronted Henry about Ingrid, he claimed that he didn't know Clare existed at the time. But then, a few paragraphs later he said "Clare, very few people meet their soul mate at age six. So you gotta pass the time somehow. And Ingrid was very - patient..."

Gosh this statement really makes me boil. Why is it always the woman who is the one portray as waiting patiently while the man can go sow and many "wild oats" before they return?

Darn...this book really makes me emo...reminding me of this sad song.

16 comments:

elliecleffairy said...

Told u liao... this book very sad... very bitter-sweet... and Clare had known Henry all of her life... waited for him. this book demonstrate the theme 'only men is allowed to be absent from marriage and relationship' while women... cannot.

Small Kucing said...

Grrrrrrrrrrr....wanna throw the boook at Henry but too bad he is just a fiction

JΞMS£Ɲ said...

Did u watch the movie of 'Time traveler's wife ' ? ;)

synical said...

I heard the audio version of this book awhile back and I was more creeped out about old Henry meeting 6 year old Clare than the rest of the book.

http://lifeasacynic.blogspot.com/2010/04/thoughts-about-time-travellers-wife.html

Small Kucing said...

Jemsen

No, I have yet to watch the movie. Heard it's a sad movie

Small Kucing said...

Synical

For me i dont like Henry much

Alice Law said...

I found Henry very selfish leh, to me everyone's future is a mystery, something to be explore on their own ler... he shouldn't mention anything about their future to Clare, this made me feel Henry is prebooking her, so unfair to Clare!!! Geram!>_<

Small Kucing said...

Alice Law

You read thiis book already too? He "inadvertently" leak to Clare la but still..hmmm..that is the difference btw men and woman

ChloeRuoyi said...

I bought this book at the BBW sale too. Belum baca lagi. My books are Q-ing up waiting for me to read them. Still got a long way to go before I reach this book hehe.

Sounds complicated. Hopefully I can paham ler...

Unknown said...

Despite Henry leaked their future to Clare, but I think it is still entirely up to Clare what action she want to take.

Anonymous said...

i don't like the henry too. and i don't like the husband to her bestfriend. forgot the name. hahaha. the one who keep smoking one. both are jerks. tsk!

Small Kucing said...

Chleo Mommy

kinda complicated la especially in the middle there

Small Kucing said...

Chee Yee

Woman of course la 4 sum thap dei

Small Kucing said...

Goldflower

lol me too

Unknown said...

This is still on the top of my favorites!! Glad that you enjoy it Mama Kucing.

Small Kucing said...

CJ

Kinda hard to start reading this book. Darn! makes me cry la this book

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails