Thursday, June 21, 2012

The Death of Vishnu by Manil Suri

Synopsis

Vishnu was an odd job man for the residents of an apartment building in Bombay.

This is the story of Vishnu as he lies dying on his abode which is the staircase landing of the building. It's also the story of his life when he was young with his mother and later on with the love of his life.

Entwined in the story are the lives of the residents of the building; the warring housewives, the lone widower, lovesick teens from different religion and the Muslim man looking for enlightenment.

My Comments:

I've bought this book from the Big Bookshop Clearance Sale some time ago and had forgotten about it .Last vacation, I encountered this book again in a Cafe. Just the other day, as I was digging out some books to read...I found it again and so the journeys begin

It was rather difficult for me to understand what I was reading as the story flash from one person to another. However, the part that is most difficult for me to understand and imagine was the Vishnu. At times he was the alcoholic dying man, then it flashes to his childhood. After a few chapters it tells of the love of his life, Padmini. The author lost me at the part where Vishnu turn God like.

Despite everything, I still enjoyed reading the part about the residents of the building. Each family have its own woes and crisis.

For me it was a bit of a sad read.

i give it 3 stars out of 5.





No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails