Wednesday, August 17, 2011

The Nanny Diaries by Emma McLaughin and Nicola Kraus

I was hoping for a bit of light reading when I pick up this book. Unfortunately it's not.It's a rather thought provoking sort of book.

"Nanny" is a student struggling to graduate from NYU. She advertised her service as a nanny in order to support herself and to afford the tiny studio apartment which she shares with another.

She literally bumped into A Mrs X's little boy or rather the boy bumped into her. They chatted and that was how she become the nanny to Mrs X's little "monster".

As the story goes, Nanny and the oby grew fond of each other. However, the longer Nanny was with the Xes, the more she was drawn into their webs of lies and deceits.


It was a tense 9 months where Nanny tried to help the boy, to maintain her own integrity and also avoid to be drawn into the domestic squabbles of the Xes.

Sometimes it's really scary on how a book can mirror life so vividly. Time and time again, Nanny was used mercilessly by Mrs X. At first,  Nanny would just tried to accommodate her ridiculous requests and made sacrifices. However, Mrs X seems to have taken Nanny for granted.

The despicable Mrs X also likes to dangle a carrot in front of the horses nose.

I love the part near the ending where Nanny realised what a conniving lying ahem ahem Mrs X was. All the frustration and anger described in that part was what I felt after the evil scheme was revealed.

I guess all these things made this novel such a great success. It got innocence, greed, envy and totally wicked.


I like this book. Reading this makes me want to watch the movie.

8 comments:

Lee said...

Hi SK, I really admire you read all kinds of book.
Lee.

Small Kucing said...

Lee
You are right. I wallop all sorts of books except text books :p

Unknown said...

Sounds like a good book.

Small Kucing said...

Chee Yee

not bad

elliecleffairy said...

LOL-ed hard at the statement... wallop all books except textbook... wakakaka... I oso like that when I was in school... all books will read except textbooks!

Small Kucing said...

Cleffairy

looks like a hazard of book worms

Hidayah Ismawi said...

we share the same walloping style haha.. I also bought this book last saturday .. I think I've seen the movie but just wanted to see if the book was better :)

Small Kucing said...

Hidayah

LOL....i havent wtched the show yet.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails